P5 Pick It Up at Scapa

The 'Packed Lunch Award' goes to Scott this week, who brought no single use disposable plastic packaging.

Class 5 went back to Scapa to get rid of some of the troublesome marine litter that has washed up on the beach. Although the Pick Up Three Pieces bin was full when we got there the bin lorry soon came to empty it.


That is 1100litres of litter that won't be on the beach!
 
 
This time we had some signs to mark the area we were working in and to remind dog owners to keep their dogs under control - it seemed to work!

 
It is a nice change to sit on sand and make sand castles at playtime too.

 
Then to work picking up lots of tiny bits of plastic wrap and short bits of rope which have been dropped from fishing boats. Its not easy disentangling it from teh dried seaweed. We found a bird carcass which looked as if its stomach had been full of tiny bits of plastic. These bits are now back in the environment and may end up killing another birs or its chicks by slowly starving it of real food.

 
 We found other bits of litter which were identifiable like a paint brush handle, a comb, an electric shaver, a lighter and some food litter, but most of the litter was rope buried in the sand.

 
Team work meant we could remove buried items if we all worked together.

 
We worked our way along from the east edge of the sand towards the carpark at the middle of the bay.

 
There was more and more litter as we went west along the beach.


 
Lots of it was buried.

 
Here you can see the rope and the packing bands, some of which are still in a loop and deadly for marine animals. There are old containers which we think might have been used as improvised floats for creels since they still have the rope tied to the handle for keeping them in place.

 
After one last huge effort we carried the litter back to the bin and completely filled it!

 
Well done litter warriors!
Lets make sure everyone picks up 3 for the sea!

17 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed going to Scapa. I never knew we could collect that much litter! and i hope we get to go there again. I am very happy that the signs worked. I cant wait for next outdoor day.


    Jamie Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked going to the beach yesterday. About 2 times I helped get rope that was buried under the sand. It was really surprising that we found an electric shaver. I was so surprised of how much LITTER was on the beach and they were hard to get out of the seaweed if they were small. I was amazed with how much litter we found. Well done to P5!

    Zoe P5

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked going to Scapa on Tuesday. Me and Zoe were digging a hole when we got break. We cleaned a big part of the beach and a lot of rope and plastic got stuck under the ground when we found it and Alfie was stronger than all of us and he got it out for us. Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed going to Scapa but it was tiring walking there and my legs were really sore. In the end we picked loads of litter I cannot believe we picked up 1100 litres! Well done to everyone!

    By Aidan

    ReplyDelete
  5. There were lots of dead segulls every were. there were bones of birds when we first got there me luke and tyler and kiah had to lift a tiyer to the sters. there where rops stuk in the sand alfe and james where good at pulling them out. from miles

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not expect that much litter on Scapa beach. I liked doing litter picking it was fun and we saved the beach from looking terrible. my favourite bit was making sand castle's and I think our sings that we put up worked well. I got a bit of sand imy lunch but it was really good fun. from Scoott

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was fun at break time because we got to play in the sand and we were all picking up litter and Alfie found a big wooden board and I found a wooden board that looked the same except it was much smaller. I found an old paint brush. We put signs up saying ''keep dogs away!'' from Ewan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought that there would be so much buried litter. Hopefully everybody will start picking up litter. Don't forget to PICK UP 3 PIECES!

    By Greig

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think yesterday was great! I enjoyed picking up litter and having break on the beach for a change. I was really hungry because both of my sandwiches fell on the sand. At break me and Scott dug a hole and we filled it up but when Scott pulled his feet out his shoe got stuck under the sand! BY KALLE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeserday morning it was very sunny I was boiling.My favourite thing about he trip was.. its different to be at the beach in school hours,the litter picking was fun and we picked up so much. ms mackay's signs worked very well! everyone enjoyed the trip all thanks to ms mackay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At Scapa beach we found lots and lots of things like a candle holder with a candle in it, an electric shaver, lighters , big plastic tubs and loads of ropes stuck in the sand so stuck that most of the class had to help pull and dig it out. I enjoyed being at Scapa because it was a nice sunny day. We had a big mount of space to pick up 3 pieces and to play at break time.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good thing Courtney's sandwich survived.Those signs seem to work on the dogs. Alfie was really good when it came to getting those ropes out of the sand
    By Ieuan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed going to Scapa, I thought there would be more single use plastic but I was wrong there was more rope and it was amazing how much litter was on the beach. James

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked going to the beach yesterday. About 2 times I helped get rope that was buried under the sand. It was really surprising that we found an electric shaver. I was so surprised of how much LITTER was on the beach and they were hard to get out of the seaweed if they were small. I was amazed with how much litter we found. Well done to P5!

    Zoe P5

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was an amazing amount of litter you all picked up. Well done! It was a lovely day too.
    Gillian Brown (Aidan's mum)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great job you all did - WELL DONE! Thankfully, Alfie must have eaten plenty of Weetabix for his breakfast!
    Mrs L

    ReplyDelete
  17. we saw skulls of birds evrey where it was dustuting. i fond a carpit at scapa when i put it in the bucit it was hevy . by miles

    ReplyDelete